Managing Intellectual Property Assets for Creative SMEs (Part 1)
The effective management of IP is challenged by the ever-changing market for creative content and rapidly developing technology. As traditional business models seek to adapt to new realities, IP management strategies must also evolve. This project undertook an analysis of Intellectual Property management and exploitation strategies being employed across creative and cultural industries.
Project outputs include:
- Tales from the Drawing Board: IP wisdom and woes from Scotland’s creative industries – A collection of case studies from creative producers’ everyday efforts to manage and benefit from IP, this book focuses on the management of IP among SMEs, micro- organisations and sole traders, a sector whose encounters with the IP landscape have not been as widely researched.
- Evaluating Knowledge Transfer Partnerships: Collaborative Research Between Creative Scotland and the University of St Andrews, Proceedings of the ESRC Research Capacity Building Clusters; National Summit Conference 2013
- Up your IP: Design meets Intellectual Property –
- The first workshop was aimed at Design industry practitioners and was held in June 2014 in Edinburgh. Organised by ICC and Creative Scotland and co-sponsored by CREATe, the workshop aimed to improve awareness and action on IP for Creative Industry enterprises.
- The second IP workshop Digital Dialogues with Theatre was held on 28 October 2015 and focussed on the Digital and Performing Arts sector. Attracting 45 members of the Federation of Scottish Theatres (FST) the workshop revealed the complexity of IP issues to be managed when digital technologies are incorporated into an established, multi-faceted industry such as theatre.
- The third in the series of Upping Your Game IP workshops with creative industries practitioners was held on 25 September 2014 and was targeted towards the games sector. ‘Make your assets sweaty’ was organised by ICC and Creative Scotland, with additional financial support from CREATe and explored how to make intellectual properties ooze with revenue potential.
- Project poster – Project activities have been summarised in this poster which was presented at the CREATe All Hands conference in September 2014.